Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Testimony: What I Believe and What I Know

I wrote my testimony down in my journal a couple of years ago but I wanted to do it again. I want to write it again without looking at the past one first to see how it has changed. I’m so grateful for this knowledge that I have and feel so privileged to have a testimony of the true gospel. I also feel so blessed with everything that I have, but especially for great parents that raised me right and taught me how to find my own testimony, how to feel the Spirit and to love the teachings of Jesus Christ. Lately I have been realizing how abundantly I truly have been blessed throughout my whole life. I do not wish to take any of that for granted. I grew up in a good family with health, love, and so much support. I always had all that I needed. I still am continually blessed now. I have Preston, my sweet husband, who is more of a blessing than I could have ever thought possible. We fit together so well and I’m so blessed to always have him, for time on earth and for all eternity after death! I have two kids that are such a joy to me, and have completed me. And with all of these great blessings in my life I truly feel of my Heavenly Father’s love for me.

With that said I will share my testimony of things that I know. These things I have come to know by my individual experiences, and through the Spirit that I can feel.

As the scriptures teach, I know that I have a loving Father in Heaven. I know that He has a body. I know that He has a son Jesus Christ who is separate only in being but just as loving. I know He is my friend and my Savior. I know that He lived here on this earth, and died for each person, and for me. His atonement is so real and so personal to me that I almost can’t express it. I know that His atonement makes it possible for me to return to Him and my Heavenly Father’s presents. I don’t know how it works but I know that it does. I know that His atonement fills the gap of ALL of my short comings, in all areas of my life. When I have sinned, but also for my everyday things that I can’t do on my own… THAT is His atonement present in my life. Christ’s atonement is everything to me. I know that when I make mistakes that through His atonement I am made clean, and I am forgiven. I also know that there is a third member of the Godhead, which is the Spirit. I feel of his comfort and peace in my life. The Spirit does not lie and speaks peace. I know that by listening to the Spirit of God we will always be safe.

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. As I have grown older I have found an even deeper hold on that statement. The Church is true! The principles taught are good and I have tested them and I know that as I add to the good I am doing my roots in the Church will only get stronger and deeper. I know that it is the same church that Christ established on the earth in his day and restored it in our day through the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Which leads me to Joseph Smith, I know he was called of God and that he was a true Prophet. I know that he received an answer to his prayer and truly did see Heavenly Father and Jesus. I feel that he is one of the greatest men that ever came to earth. I know that he did what was asked of him by God. I know that he translated the Book of Mormon, and am so grateful for it’s pages. I feel so much for the Prophet Joseph, my heart is so full of all that he did for this church and for me. I’m so grateful for the chance that I had to go to Nauvoo, a Latter-day Saint historic city that the members of old founded, I feel of his spirit there. What a great man he was.

I know that there is a Prophet on the earth today who is also called of God. The prophet on the earth today is President Thomas S. Monson. I know that he is directed from God and is a good man. He gets direction from Heavenly Father for us, for the whole Church. I know that listening, and doing what the prophet directs will protect us and help us to be better people. I have felt that in my life even when I have done the small things that have been asked. I also know that there are other apostles called and I love and support them. I can feel of their greatness when they speak in conference and I know they speak the truth. It is wonderful to know that God has a prophet on the earth today to lead and guide his church just as he did with prophets of old like Noah, Moses, Peter and others.

I know that Heavenly Father created this earth and has provided a plan for us. I know that I lived with Him before I came to earth and that I will, if faithful, return to Him again. I know that my family is forever. I know that by being sealed to my sweet husband bound us together here on earth and also through the eternities. I know that families are of God, I feel that very strong in my own home. I know families are part of the plan of God for us. I know that I was sent here to be a mother. I know of the responsibility and divinity of being a righteous woman here on the earth. I stand as a witness of my Heavenly Father. I feel of my role and know that my Heavenly Father knows ME individually and personally and loves me. I love him and hope to show that love through my actions throughout my life!

I have a testimony of service, oh how I wish I could be engulfed in it every hour. I am grateful that as a mother I have that opportunity to serve my family. I know that service blesses my life and I love the spirit that I feel.

I know that prayer is our avenue to heaven. I know that Heavenly Father hears our prayer and answers them. I know that through prayer we are able to talk directly to God. I know through prayer we come to know our Father in Heaven better and we are helped through our trials. I know that prayer lifts us up, strengthens us, and changes our hearts.

I know the scriptures are true. That the Bible testifies of Christ, and so does the Book of Mormon. I feel of the spirit of those great men that went before, who’s lives are on the pages of the scriptures. I feel of the truthfulness of their words and am grateful for a record of their lives, which were dedicated to Christ. For the examples and testimonies that were left for me to learn and to grow. I know that reading the scriptures each day blesses my life. I know that by reading them I become better each day and am blessed.

It is wonderful that God has asked us to build temples on the earth today just as he did in Bible times. Temples are a holy place that allow us to worship God. I have a testimony of the temple and how it blesses my life. I know that it is a sacred place. It renews my soul and makes it possible to return to my Heavenly Father. I am so blessed to live near one of Gods Holy Temples. I feel of its power and peace just being on its grounds, and feel connected to the heavens within its walls.

I know that we have come to this earth to experience life, to experience trials. I know that through my trials I have become a better person and for each trial and experience I have learned exactly what I have needed to learn and grow in specific areas in my life. I have grown closer to my Heavenly Father and know that going through my trials was exactly what I needed to be stronger. I would never live through them again but I would never take them back, because of the closeness I feel to my Savior and my dependence on Him.

I know of these things and the reason why I KNOW them are through prayer, asking and receiving a confirmation through the Spirit of these things.

all pictures found on Google image.

2 comments:

Meghan White said...

You are so awesome!!

Kim and Matt said...

Thank you for sharing... you are a great friend. :)