For those of you who don't know this is dolly!

And Kya LOVES Dolly

Yes she is a white doll with dreads, I swear it didn't start out that way. When I first got her, her hair was in two pigtail braids. If you have seen Kya with me though, she is clinging to my hair ALL the time. And she got to a point where she wouldn't go to sleep unless she had my hair. I wasn't about to rock her to sleep every night so I found Dolly. I'm not original with names for toys as you can see.
I had gotten Dolly when Kya was about about 5 or 6 months old. Dolly was perfect, she is soft everywhere but her head and hands, AND she had doll
hair, unlike some soft dolls I'd found with yarn hair. She was only $5 and so I thought I'd try my luck. I gave Kya this doll to sleep with so she'd have hair to fiddle with while she fell asleep and I would be able to have my head. Surprisingly enough the first night she had Dolly it worked she
didn't need my hair! And, might I add, that for the first month or so I brushed Dolly's hair, all the time! But somehow it ended up looking like she does and it is past the point of help. Someone tried to tell me that if I put conditioner in her hair and comb it out from the bottom up it would be as good as new... however, this kind person had never looked real closely at Dolly's hair. No I have never tried it but really?...
REALLY!
REALLY!

So here is the real story that was just background. Kya really loves Dolly, but she doesn't
NEED Dolly all the time. But there are times that if she has Dolly it's hard to get Dolly out of her arms. This was the case last night, Kya already had Dolly and we went to take a bath. Although it
does look like we bathe with Dolly she has
never been in the water. Before I put Kya in the tub I was trying to explain to her that Dolly can't go in the bathtub. Kya had a death grip on Dolly and
wouldn't let me take her. I thought by reasoning with her and showing her her other fun toys in the bath that she would put Dolly down. But she wouldn't. So I thought I'd reason with Kya after her clothes were off...
NOPE, that didn't work either. I found it really sad to rip Dolly away from her just to take a bath. So I kept reasoning, "Dolly can't get wet... she'll wait right here for you..." so on and so on. I thought that maybe if I set her in the tub without water she'd realize that baths are fun and she didn't need Dolly for a bit. But that
wasn't the case either. Every time I'd try to even touch Dolly, Kya
SCREAMED at me! All the while I was finding this behavior quite funny, because she'd never needed Dolly like this. So finally I knew she wasn't going to give Dolly to me so I had to
take her. Honestly that was every
sad. I had to literally
pry Dolly out of my
poor daughters death grip. Even after I had her Kya reached up and snagged Dolly's lushes hair. So after I had untangled Kya's fingers from Dolly's hair Kya almost turned in to a possessed child. She was so angry with me! Needless to say it was one of the shortest wash downs and Dolly was back in Kya's arms!
4 comments:
That doll CRACKS me up. I saw her holding at church and I thought to myself, what is she holding? Then after seeing her love dolly I realized it was one of those things that mom's hated and kids love..... their favorite nasty toy!! So funny. I'm laughing so hard at the pictures!
Hey you guys!! It's been forever and don't ask me how I found your blog but just wanted to say hi and congrats on Baby #2...Kya is adorable and that doll is one of a kind. I love the carpet and your home and if you ever move out of it, we will buy it and move into it :) Good to see that you are doing well!!
I wish I had a doll with dreds...that's awesome!
That is a classic story. You may want to throw her away at some point, but I think you should keep dolly and let her legacy live on... who knows, maybe Kya's kids will love her just as much. Besides, it's what's on the INSIDE that counts, right?!
Post a Comment